Resfeber

Resfeber (n.): The restless race of the traveler's heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together. 

It's been awhile since I last posted (I tried to be better, I really did) so I'll try to write a little about everything that's happened the last few months. 

First of all, I was accepted to the University of Colorado - Denver for graduate school! I will be pursuing a Master’s in Spanish and I honestly couldn’t be more excited. I think one of the most difficult parts about teaching in Spain has been not being a student. When I graduated from high school and started at Franciscan, I’m pretty sure my parents were terrified that I wouldn’t finish my Bachelor’s in 4 years…or ever! Not because I would do poorly or choose to not finish but because I liked school so much that I would choose to just keep going back. I’m sure they breathed a huge sigh of relief last May when I walked across the stage. What I’m really trying to say here is, “Sorry, Mom and Dad for finding a way to go back to being a student. I can’t promise I’ll ever give it up.”

This image by Goya is in the Prado and reads “I’m still learning”

From Christmas Break until Holy Week we only had one day off of school. My parents came to visit me when I had that one day off (which gave me a 4 day weekend since I always have Fridays off). We had a wonderful time. It was tons of fun to be able to play the role of tour guide in Barcelona. 


In front of the Barcelona Cathedral

Sagrada Familia

I'm sure the stranger who took this picture thought "crazy Americans."


Like I said earlier, we only had one day of vacation between Christmas and Holy Week...that’s 3 months of non-stop school/work which meant that everyone—students, teachers, and parents—was in desperate need of a break. Luckily I had 12 days of vacation for Semana Santa (Holy Week). I was able to join my boyfriend and two friends on a Holy Week pilgrimage. We met up and spent 4 days in Madrid, from Madrid we took a day trip to Toledo, we moved on and spent a day and night in Ávila, and spent the last 5 days (including Triduum) in Salamanca. 



I was in Madrid for World Youth Day in 2011 but didn’t really get to experience the city. In fact, I hardly remembered the city at all so I was grateful to be back a second time. We did a lot of walking, exploring, and eating. We saw the Palace, the Cathedral, beautiful gardens, fun markets, and the best of all MUSEO DEL PRADO. We spent a full 8 hours in the Prado and still weren’t ready to leave. We also visited the Royal Palace, the Cathedral, and the Plaza de Cibeles. 

In front of the Royal Palace of Madrid

Palm Sunday was spent in Toledo where we attended Mass and witnessed the first of many, many processions. Toledo was also the center of all things Cervantes which pleased my Don Quixote-loving heart. 

Beginning of Palm Sunday procession

Official translation: "Toledo: Oh boulder! The glory of Spain and the light of its cities!" -Cervantes

Ávila, the home of Sts. Teresa and John, was our next stop. We visited the Cathedral, St. Teresa's finger (which is oddly located in the back of a gift shop), and the Convento de Santa Teresa. Our AirBnB was located just outside the walls of the city in the Plaza de San Pedro and we were able to watch one of the processions from our balcony. 

San Pedro

Ávila is where we witnessed our first solemn procession

The next (and final) stop was Salamanca where we spent the most time. Celebrating Triduum in Spain has been on my bucket list for quite some time and I feel so blessed to have been able to cross it off. Salamanca is a beautiful city, rich in history and faith. It is perhaps one of my favorite cities in the world. 9000 members of 16 hermandades (confraternities) participate in the Holy Week processions. These processions date back to the 13th century. They began as a means of teaching the illiterate people of Spain the events of the Passion and Resurrection of our Savior. They continue to be an important tradition throughout Spain. 

Plaza Mayor at night.
Our hotel room was on the 3rd floor, 4 windows from the left. 

 Plaza Mayor with the banners representing the Hermandades that participate in the Holy Week processions.


Cathedral of Salamanca...and Ralph :)

Real Confradía Penitencial de Cristo Yacente

A week and a half after returning from my Holy Week trip my best friend, Victoria, came to Barcelona to visit me! I can't express how lucky I am to have a friend like her! We had a great time in the city and just spending time together. 

Please meet "Gordito", the fat cat.

Parc del Laberint d'Horta

Other than all the visits and trips I was able to make this year, I have been having a wonderful time with my Spanish family. They have a house in the Pyrenees mountains (along the French border) and we've been able to spend two weekends there. We've ridden horses, gone on long bike rides, made paella, and really enjoyed each other's company. 

Irene, Mónica, Blanca, and me

Alp, Spain


As for teaching, today was my last day. And what a difficult day it was. One of my second graders told me, "Ahora somos tu familia pero también tienes familia en tu país y tenemos envidia de eso." ("Now we're your family but you also have family in your country and we're jealous of that.") 
This has truly been the experience of a lifetime. I have no idea how I'll ever be able to express my gratitude for all the parents, students, and teachers I've come to know and love. I spent my playground duty signing agendas for all the students. They all wanted to make sure that they had something of me after I left. What they don't realize is that I've already left a piece of my heart with each and every one of them.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Missing My "Fox Room"

Home from Home

I Learned from You