P.S. I Love Ireland

There is an Irish proverb that says, “Your feet will take you where your heart is.” My feet took me to Ireland and that is where a piece of my heart will remain. 

My 10-day break came and went marking the halfway point of my semester abroad. I’ve left my heart in so many places: with the victims of Auschwitz-Birkenau, in the canals of Venice, on the streets of Prague, atop the mountains of Salzburg, and now a huge part of my heart remains on the edge of the Cliffs of Moher, walking along Salthill Promenade, and singing along to Galway Girl in an Irish Pub. There are no words to describe the joy and peace that Ireland brought me. I didn’t think it was possible to feel so at home in a place so foreign. The homey feeling had to do with more than things like the use of ice in water and Coke or being able to read road signs and menus (I’ve never appreciated the English language so much). It’s the affectionate demeanor of the Irish people and the loveliness of the Irish landscape. God decided to use all His colors when He painted Ireland and put a few extra doses of kindness into the people. 
We spent 6 nights in Ireland—5 in Galway and 1 in Knock. 

Day 1: Today was all about exploring Galway and getting a feel for the town. We spent time in Eyre Square, the pedestrianized streets, the river walk, and the Cathedral. Walking into the Cathedral (dedicated to Sts. Patrick and Nicholas) my first thought was, “This is where I’m getting married”. It was built in the 1960s and is beautiful but modest. There is nothing intimidating about the structure or decoration; it’s like coming home from a long stressful day. Galway itself lends itself to tourists without feeling overly touristy. There are souvenir shops at every corner but when you walk into a pub, you’re welcomed like a local. 

Day 2: Today we went on a tour to the Cliffs of Moher—in the words of an Irishman—“like typical Americans”. The tour took us through about 3 hours of Irish countryside before actually getting to the Cliffs and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. We got to see Dunguiare Castle, Corcomroe Abbey, Poulnabrone, and Liminock. I’d never heard of any of them but it was totally worth the visit to each. The bus driver talked the entire time so we were able to learn a ton about Irish traditions, history, and culture. The Cliffs of Moher were absolutely stunning, breathtaking, magnificent, beautiful, astounding, and I could go on and on with adjectives that will never give justice to the view. I’ve said before that the times I feel God’s presence the most are in moments of immensity. The time spent at the Cliffs was full of immensity: immensity of the ocean before me, of the cliffs below me, of the sky above me, and of God’s grace within me. I sat at the very edge of the Cliff with my feet dangling down (sorry, Mom) for about half an hour and it was easily the best half hour of 10-day. The ride back was equally as beautiful as the ride there and it was an all-around fantastic day. 



Day 3: We decided to venture into Dublin (about a 2.5 hour bus ride away). We got up early, caught the bus, and arrived in Dublin ready for some food. We were able to go the the Brazen Head pub which is the oldest pub in Dublin and have some wonderful food. Our next goal was the Guinness factory. Unfortunately we were pressed for time because someone in our group had to catch a plane so we didn’t do the tour of the Guinness factory. In all honesty, I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest because I don’t like Guinness (*gasp* I know). The best part of Dublin was Trinity College.  Trinity College is home to the book of Kells—the first vernacular Bible found in Ireland. I believe it dates back to the 1100s. But the best part is yet to come….THE library. The library that my best friend, Victoria, and I have been saving pictures of since the day we got a Pinterest, the library that Beauty and the Beast modeled Belle’s library after, the best library in the world. I sat taking in the smell of old books for probably 15 minutes before I finally found my feet again and was able to actually walk through the library. It was the perfect end to a day in Dublin for me. 



Day 4: Claire and Jared left early in the morning to continue their 10-day break in Germany. That left Monica and me with one more day in Galway before we headed to Knock. We actually split up for the day and I spent my last day just like we spent our first day…exploring Galway. I sent out a few postcards, bought some souvenirs, got hot chocolate at a cute cafe, and sat in a pub reading for awhile. Monica and I met up for dinner at a place our Irish professor who grew up in Galway recommended for us and then turned in for an early night.

Day 5: Today was “clean up the apartment day”. You’d be amazed at how little of a mess five 20-somethings made in an apartment after 5 days. I have to say, I was pretty impressed. We reluctantly left our temporary home in Galway at 10 in the morning after taking more pictures on Salthill Promenade. We had to take a city bus to the coach station to get to Knock and as an example of the kindness of the Irish people, the bus drive went out of his way to take us to the coach station rather than leaving us at the stop about 3 blocks from the station. We got to Knock about an hour and a half later, checked into our hotel, and headed to the Shrine of Our Lady of Knock. The Shrine is easily one of the most serene places I’ve ever had the pleasure of visiting. Monica and I spent close to 2 hours discovering and praying at the different chapels and devotions and it was the best end to our time in Ireland.



We really lucked out with weather the whole time we were there…especially for October. The only time we felt rain drops was the day we were in Dublin. But even then it was a couple sprinkles and by no means put a damper on the day. I didn’t include our night time adventures in the day-by-day break down but in short, never have I ever felt so safe as a woman in a bar. Not that I frequent many bars, but you get the idea. The five of us danced and sang along with the bands in all the Irish pubs we visited, laughed with locals, and tried our fair share of Irish beers. 

I think everyone in the world can find a way to fall in love with Ireland. Whether it be the romantic who falls in love with the lead singer of the band in an Irish Pub, the nomad wandering the luscious green country side, the golfer who challenges himself at the Lahinch Golf Club, the book lover who finds herself lost in the Old Library at Trinity College, or the man seeking faith who discovers the Infinite at the Cliffs of Moher. 

I’ll leave you with an Irish blessing:
May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back (Unless you’re at the Cliffs of Moher)
May the sun shine warm upon your face
May the rains fall soft upon your fields
And, until we meet again



May God hold you in the hollow of his hand. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Missing My "Fox Room"

Home from Home

I Learned from You