Adventure 1

We started our Sunday exploring ruins of a castle along the Danube in Dürnstein, Austria. It was in this castle that Richard the Lionheart was held captive in 1192 during the 3rd Crusade. Besides its incredible historical significance, the castle in Dürnstein is absolutely, breathtakingly beautiful. The trek up to the castle is steep but definitely worth the burning feeling in my calves. I climbed as high up on the ruins as I could (sorry, Mom) and it felt like I was on top of the world. It’s in those moments that I can truly feel God’s presence. There was nothing but beauty surrounding me: the people I’ll be traveling with for the next four months, the Danube, the Alps, the vineyards, and the crisp mountain sky. There wasn’t a moment we were up there that I could even begin to doubt the love God has for us. He has given us these gifts of his artwork to explore and completely immerse ourselves in. We were able to celebrate Mass in the church in Dürnstein which was another incredible blessing. I also got to check “sit in the choir loft” off my bucket list (it’s been on that list since I was 7 years old). 


After Mass we got back on the bus and headed for Melk. None of the pictures I took give justice to the grandeur of Melk so please, please, please do a Google images search for Melk Monastery or Stift Melk. Melk is dedicated to Sts. Peter and Paul and the local parish church is dedicated to St. Mary (insert Puff the Magic Dragon joke). We were able to go on a tour of the relics and historical artifacts housed in Melk as well as a hear a brief history of the monastery. The best part of that tour, in my personal opinion (and my Grandpa would probably agree with me), was the library. All the images you had of the way libraries should look after watching Beauty and the Beast come alive when you walk into this one. Books from floor to ceiling with a balcony and book ladders all the way around. THEN there’s another room! Many of the books are still used by historians today so maybe I’ll change my major to history and learn German just so I can spend time in that library. From the library it’s just a walk down a staircase to get to the church and I was blown away. They just don't build churches like that anymore, at least not in the United States. Between the castles and the library I was pretty much living my life as Belle today. 



Classes start tomorrow for us here on the other side of the pond. Please pray for my studies as well as my travels. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Missing My "Fox Room"

Home from Home

I Learned from You